Cat's Eye Gemstone
Having associations with Ketu, the domineering and antagonistic planet, Cat's Eye Stone is an immensely significant and precious stone. A decisive and dominating position of Ketu in one's horoscope can bestow that individual remarkably on wearing this gemstone. Cat's Eye is a gemstone that is known to have hot metaphysical properties. It helps in doing away with the malefic effects of Ketu and brings down the ill- effects caused in one's' body due to increased cold. The planet Ketu, chiefly resides in retrograde positions and is known to bring unexpected and sudden gains and benefits when it comes in a commanding position in one's horoscope. Ketu chiefly signifies the grandfather, occurrence or prominence of leprosy, any injury or an accident in one's life, matters of luck, fortune, fears and complexes. The planet also points out the travel, child and wealth in one's life.
As for the chemical family, Cat's Eye, also known as Lehsunia or Vaidurya, is a member of the Chrysoberyl family, justifying its name as Chrysoberyl Cat's Eye. Its colour and texture varies across a wide spectrum of colours being from cloudy yellow to brownish green, more common being the honey brown or the apple green. The stone is known for the shine and luster that it bears in varying colours. The stone usually has a round cabochon cut and possesses moderate dispersion. The effect of this gemstone shows in the wearer's' spiritual inclination and associations, asceticism and one's disengagement from the worldly desires and luxuries. The planet Ketu is also known to endow individuals with wisdom, ability to distinguish and gain of knowledge- spiritual and/ or otherwise.
There are innumerable benefits of wearing a Cat's Eye stone. A few of them are listed below:
- Cats Eye stone is the most preferred stone amongst those who are associated with speculative activities and investments. Stones that are known to bring good luck are favoured by the risk- takers and adventure junkies.
- This gemstone is known to ease out any professional work that has been stuck for long, helping in professional success. Bringing back lost wealth or stuck money is also one of the benefit of wearing a Cat's Eye stone.
- Keeping a Cat's Eye stone close to yourself can help you gain metaphysical protection. This stone also keeps the evil eye at bay.
- Cat's Eye is a gemstone of the planet Ketu which is a planet known for bringing tough situations in life and providing lessons the hard way. Hence, Cat's Eye helps in disengaging oneself from the worldly attachments and luxuries and cushions the blow that hard times come with.
- Cat's Eye is also helpful for those who wish to begin a spiritual journey and exercise detachment from the worldly affairs as this stone facilitates spiritual and religious inclination and enlightenment.
- As per popular beliefs, Cat's Eye gemstone is known to heal physical ailments, recover from unhealthy habits, depression and even treat diseases like paralysis and cancer.
- Cat's Eye gemstone is also used to establish mental peace, aid issues related to memory and getting rid of anxiety and stress.
Certain gemstones bear ill-effects for the wearer if they are not compatible with the horoscope of the wearer. Hence, one should make sure to consult an a renowned and learned astrologer before putting on any gemstone to keep adversities at bay and make way for happiness and prosperity.
Some of the drawbacks of wearing a Cat's Eye gemstone or lehsunia stone are as follows:
- Occurrence of diseases and abnormalities related to heart and nervous system.
- Occurrence of wounds and injury leading to blood loss.
- Occurrence of issues in genitals.
- Occurrence of excessive sweating, anxiety and nausea.
- Violent associations and unnecessary quarrels.
What ratti/ size to wear?
There are different measures that are considered while finalising the size and weight of the gemstone. Cat's Eye gemstone is the one that is suggested to be worn during Ketu Dasha. It is usually not worn lifelong but only till the time Ketu is in a decisive position in one's horoscope. There are two commonly used criterion to determine the weight of this gemstone. An astrologer can prescribe the Cat's Eye gemstone of particular weight keeping in mind the body weight of the wearer. For example, a person weighing about 60kgs can wear a Cat's Eye gemstone of about 6 carat. Another way to determine the weight of the Cat's Eye gemstone depends on how crucial the Ketu Dasha is. Generally, a stone between 2.25 Carat to 10 Carat can be worn depending on the criteria of determination.
Effects of Cat's eye on different horoscopes
The Cat's Eye stone is known to function differently for individuals belonging to different horoscopes. Let us see what effects this gemstone has on different zodiac signs.
(Note: We strongly recommend our users to consult with an expert astrologer before wearing any stone.)
ARIES- Natives of Aries sign should wear the Cat's Eye stone if the position of Ketu is in their 5th, 6th, 9th or 12th house. This stone should be worn particularly when Ketu is in a decisive position in their horoscope. A three- day trial period is compulsory to test the suitability of the gemstone.
TAURUS- People belonging to the Taurus sign must wear the Cat's Eye gemstone if the planet Ketu is positioned in their 9th or 11th house and is in an operating position. A three- day trial period must be followed religiously to test the suitability of the gemstone.
GEMINI- Those belonging to the Gemini sign can wear the Cat's Eye stone if ketu is positioned in their 9th. 10th or 11th house. A three- day trial period must be conducted to test the suitability of the gemstone.
CANCER- Folks belonging to the Cancer sign can wear the Cat's Eye gemstone is Ketu is stationed in their 6th, 9th or 11th house and is in a dominating position. Before putting on the gemstone, do go for a three-day trial period to judge its initial effects on you.
LEO- People belonging to the Leo zodiac can put on the Cat's Eye gemstone if the planet Ketu is parked in their 8th, 9th or 11th house of the horoscope and is in a decisive position. Though, before wearing the stone, it is imperative to try it on for three days as a trial and continue with it only if the results are favourable.
VIRGO- Those belonging to the Virgo sign can wear the Cat's Eye gemstone if Ketu is occupying their 4th, 9th and 3rd house in their horoscope and is in a dominating position. Before finally putting on the stone, a three-day trial must be done so as to judge the initial effects of the stone on the wearer.
LIBRA- Folks coming under the zodiac sign Libra can wear the Cat's Eye stone if the planet Ketu is placed in the 2nd, 3rd and 11th house of their horoscope and is in a dominating position. A three- day trial wear test must be conducted to ensure the stones' favourable effects.
SCORPIO- People belonging to the Scorpio sign can wear a Cat's Eye gemstone to ease down their Ketu if the planet if present in the 2nd, 10th and 11th house of their horoscope and is in a dictating position. A three- day trial period must not be taken lightly before finally putting on the lehsunia gemstone for the prescribed period.
SAGITTARIUS- Sagittarians can wear a Cat's Eye stone if the planet Ketu is in the 2nd, 4th, 9th and 12th house of their horoscope and is in a decisive position. A three- day trial period is compulsory to test the suitability of the gemstone and judge its favourable and unfavourable outcomes.
CAPRICORN- Those belonging to the sign Capricorn can wear the Cat's Eye gemstone if the planet Ketu is in the 2nd, 4th, 9th and 12th house of their horoscope and is in an effective position. A three- day trial period must be followed religiously to test the suitability of the stone.
AQUARIUS- Folks belonging to the Aquarius zodiac can wear a Cat's Eye stone if Ketu is in the 2nd, 10th and 11th house of their horoscope and is in a strong position. Before putting on the gemstone, do go for a three-day trial period to judge its initial effects on you.
PISCES- Pisceans can wear the Cat's Eye gemstone if the planet Ketu is the 1st, 2nd, 9th and 10th house of their horoscope and is in a dictating position. Though, before wearing the stone, it is imperative to try it on for three days as a trial and continue with it only if the results are favourable.
The Cat's Eye gemstone is known as Beryllium Aluminium Oxide in chemical terminology and is symbolised as Al2BeO4. The refractive index of the stone ranges between 1.744 - 1.755 and the hardness on the Mohs scale reaches close to 8.5 which makes it the third hardest natural stone known to exist. The density of the Cat's Eye gemstone is about 3.70 to 3.72. The chatoyancy effect in the stone is what defines its beauty and usage. This effect is caused in the gemstone due to an inclusion of very fine, parallel mineral fibers that reflect a beam of light in a single band like formation. The Cat's Eye gemstone or lehsunia stone usually flaunts a cabochon cut and is polished fittingly to give it a shiny and smooth surface. There are other gemstones too that manifest a Cat's Eye formation but Chrysoberyl Cat's Eye is known to be the best because of its strong, distinct and vivid effect. Hence, this gemstone enjoys the privilege of being called a 'Cat's Eye' by default, unless mentioned otherwise.
In Vedic Astrology, the Cat's Eye stone is known to have associations with Ketu. Ketu Dasha can be pretty painful and brutal for individuals. And Cat's Eye gemstone is known to dial down the adversities and infuse balance and calmness in one's life. This stone also facilitates spiritual upliftment and reduction of dilemmas and anxiety.
Different gemstones symbolise different planets and hence, there exist different methods of putting on different gemstones. It is of significant importance to wear an authentic gemstone of the recommended size so as to gain optimum benefits from it. The wearing process of Cat's Eye is as follows:
- The stones associated with Rahu and Ketu are worn at precise Muhurats and under specific conditions, only after consulting a renowned astrologer.
- The minimum weight of this stone must be at least 7 carats which measures to be about 1400mg.
- Cat's Eye stone is always worn on the ring finger or the middle finger of the working hand.
- The purpose of wearing a Cat's Eye gemstone is that the stone must be in contact with the wearer's skin.
- It is advisable to keep the Cat's Eye gemstone immersed in a bowl filled with gangajal or cow's milk for at least 10mins before wearing it.
- Cat's Eye gemstone is usually worn on a Tuesday that falls during Shukla Paksha, at the time of dawn.
- As per renowned astrologers, the mantra : 'Aum Ketave Namah' is to be recited while putting on the ring.
- An effective way to clean the ring with the Cat's Eye stone is to dip it in soap water and clean it with a soft bristled brush.
How to identify a real Cat's Eye Stone
Wearing an authentic stone is as important as it is to wear a stone altogether. Identifying a real gemstone takes a big deal of knowledge about such stones and the vision of a hawk to be able to distinguish the gem amongst the pebbles. It is highly advisable to be sure of the authenticity, purity and validity of a gemstone before using one.
There are two most common layman's ways to test the genuineness of a Cat's Eye gemstone. If an authentic Cat's Eye gemstone is kept in a dark room, it shines almost as bright as the eyes of a cat. Also, if a Cat's Eye gemstone is rubbed against a piece of cloth, its luster and shine increases and the stone seems to be brighter and shinier than before.
Certain physical properties of the Cat's Eye stone can help one buy an authentic gemstone and stay at bay from the spurious ones.
- Colour - The chatoyancy effect in the Cat's Eye gemstone is the indicator of its quality and genuineness. Chatoyancy effect is the thin strip of of light that runs across the gemstone from one end to another in a lengthwise fashion. This effect is known to be caused in the stone due to a hollow tube like inclusion or a needle inside it. On flashing a beam of light on the stone, it gives an impression similar to that of the closing and opening of the eye. The stone is available in a variety of colours ranging from yellow, greenish yellow, greyish green, brown to brownish yellow.
- Cut- The Cat's Eye gemstone or lehsunia stone needs to be cut in a careful and precise manner so as to clearly flaunt its chatoyancy effect. Hence, a very experienced and skilled lapidarist must handle this gemstone as it is of utmost importance that the stone clearly signifies the closing and opening of an eye when rotated under a beam of light. Also, the needles in the stone must be perpendicular to the stone to prove its authenticity. The most appropriate cut that is used to bring out the specifics of this gemstone is the cabochon cut which is a dome- like cut in round or oval shape. Post the cut, the stone is adequately polished to reveal its chatoyancy effect.
- Carat- Typically, the Cat's Eye is used in a size ranging from 0.10cts to 3.00cts. Though, gemstones of a bigger size can also be attained. Cat's Eye gemstones as massive as 150 carats also exist but are rare and expensive.
- Clarity- The Cat's Eye gemstone generally bears a milky appearance and the clear ones are the rarest of the rare.
As a measure of caution, one should always buy gemstones from an authorised and trustworthy source. Most of the gemstones generally bear a certificate of authenticity too so as to certify their genuineness. In case of any doubt one can always consult a testing lab for judging if the stone is genuine or not.
Awareness about natural gemstones that we sell
The availability of bogus products, especially in the market for gemstones, has risen tremendously over the years making the consumers more aware and cautious over time. While buying gemstones, one needs to be extremely precautious as buying a fake stone will not only be lacking the desired effect but can also affect the wearer adversely. Also, a majority of people hold a perception that a high price is a certification of the authenticity of a gemstone which is completely false. Gemstones are available over a wide spectrum of price range but only a lab certification proves the authenticity of a gemstone. Consumers must make sure that any gemstone that they buy must bear a lab certificate confirming its usefulness and genuineness. Certain gemstones can also be tested for their authenticity by simple methods that anyone can follow. Being cautious of the spurious products and going that extra mile to attain the original gemstone must be priority for the consumers.
Genuine Gemstone Certification from OJAS
Lab verification provides the ultimate evidence of the potency and authenticity of a gemstone. Most gemstones come with a lab certificate so as to let the buyer know of their quality. Also, buying gemstones from trusted and renowned sellers is a healthy practice that consumers should cultivate. We at AstroSage, provide a certificate of authenticity of all our gemstones confirming their validity and legitimacy. The certificate that we provide is ISO 9001-2008 certified and gives a brief description of the weight, shape, colour, cut and chemical combination of the gemstone. Procurement of a gemstone from AstroSage is a good bargain as the risk of its falsity is nada and the purchase doesn't fall heavy on your pocket.