Gayatri Mantra: Meaning & Significance
Goddess Gayatri is the mother of all Vedas and the embodiment of knowledge. A person who is devoted to Gayatri Maa is capable of achieving great success in the path of self development. Goddess Gayatri inspires men to achieve wisdom. Gayatri influences the mind of the person, his intellect, heart and inner self. As soon as the divine light of Gayatri falls on an individual, the evil thoughts and falsehood drifts away from him. He moves toward a healthy, balanced and righteous lifestyle.
The Gayatri Mantra in Devanagari
ओ३म् भूर्भुव: स्व: |
तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं भर्गोदेवस्य धीमहि |
धियो यो न: प्रचोदयात् ||
The Gayatri Mantra in Roman
Om bhoor bhuvah svah |
Tat savitur varenyam bhargo devasya dhimahi |
Dhiyo yo nah prachodayat ||
Meaning of The Gayatri Mantra
- Om- Almighty God, the supreme spirit that protects everyone
- Bhoor- the land or the earth that gives us life
- Bhuvah- destroyer of sufferings, the one who takes way sufferings from everyone
- Svah-embodiment of happiness and contentment
- Tat- that refers to the supreme God
- Savitur- luminous like the sun
- Varenyam- most exalted or outstanding
- Bhargo- as pure as the rays of the Sun
- Devasya- divine, which belongs to the God
- Dhimahi- imbibe
- Dhiyo- intellect
- Yo- who (referring to the supreme spirit)
- Nah- our
- Prachodayat- inspire us to do good deeds
The Gayatri Mantra is a universal prayer. It can be used by anyone, any women, men or children, irrespective of races, castes and creeds. It is the prayer to the Almighty God, who is the creator of this universe, who gives essence to our existence, removes all our pains and sufferings, and grants happiness by showering his divine grace on us. By worshipping him, we achieve brilliance that leads us to righteous path.
Importance of Gayatri Mantra
It is believed by Hindus that chanting the Gayatri Mantra for once can banish the sins of the day. Chanting the Gayatri Mantra for 10 times, the sins of the day and the night can be absolved. If the Mantra is chanted for 100 times, sins for the month are forgiven. Chanting the mantra for 100 times can relieve from the sins of several years. Sins for lifetime can be banished by chanting the Mantra for one lakh times. Ten lakh times would remove the sins of past lives. Chanting it for 100 lakh times would remove the sins of all the lives and chanting the Gayatri mantra for thousand lakh times would qualify a Brahmin for salvation.
It is said that there is no better Mantra to chant other than Gayatri mantra.
Religious texts say that chanting the Gayatri mantra with proper meditation and following the proper methods remove all the obstacles and sufferings affecting the mind and the body. It generates zeal and positivity within the individual. It encourages noble thoughts, improves judgment, self confidence, patience, peacefulness and satisfaction. All the negative vibes and influences are eliminated. The Gayatri Mantra promotes knowledge, creativity, insight, prosperity, fame and longevity. It protects one from all kinds of problems and sufferings.
Kinds of Gayatri Mantra
There are many other types of Gayatri Mantra that are formed by the sages and saints in ancient times. These Mantras have their own relevance and importance. Chanting these Mantras give a unique result. These mantras are formed for a specific deity and by chanting them the blessings of that particular deity can be received.
Ganesha Gayatri: Om Ekadanthaya Vidmahe Vakratundaya Dhimahi Tanno tantihi Prachodayat
The mantra is known to destruct obstacles and give success in difficult tasks.
Vishnu Gayatri: Om Narayanaya Vidmahe Vasudevaya Dhimahi Tanno
Chanting this mantra helps in developing sustaining power.
Shiva Gayatri Mantra: Om Panchavaktra Vidmahe Mahadevaya Dhimahi Tanno Rudraha Pracho dayat
Brahma Gayatri: Om Chaturmukhaya Vidmahe Hansa Rudraaya Dhimahi Tanno Brahma Pracho dayat
It increases productiveness.
Ram Gayatri: Om Daasharthaye Vidmahe Sita Vallabhaya Dhimahi Tanno Ramahi Pracho dayat
Chanting this mantra helps in establishment of proper conduct and behavior.
Krishna Gayatri: Om Devaki Nandanaya Vidmahe Vasudevaya Dhimahi Tanno Krishna Pracho dayat
This mantra helps in bringing dynamic energy into one’s life.
Hanuman Gayatri: Om Anjanisutaya Vidmahe Vayuputraya Dhimahi Tanno Marutih Pracho dayat
Surya Gayatri: Om Bhaskaraya Vidmahe Divakaraya Dhimahi Tanno Suryah Pracho dayat
Chanting the Surya Gayatri mantra helps in curing serious diseases.
Chandra Gayatri: Om Shirputraya Vidmahe Amrit Tatvaya Dhimahi Tanno Chandrah Pracho dayat
The Chandra Gayatri Mantra removes sufferings and gives mental peace. It gives relief from worries and dejection.
Durga Gayatri: Om Girijayei Vidmahe Shiva Priyayei Dhimahi Tanno Durga Pracho dayat
The Durga Gayatri mantra is used to acquire knowledge and divine Shakti. It is used to gain victory over enemies and obstacles.
Lakshmi Gayatri: Om Maha Laxmayei Vidmahe Vishnupriyayei Dhimahi Tanno Laxmi Pracho dayat
This mantra helps in acquiring wealth, status, fame and greatness.
Mythology Behind Gayatri Mantra
It is said that Vishvamitra seared the Gayatri mantra. Vishvamitra was a sage in ancient India. He did severe penance to become the ultimate Rishi. Many Lords tried to break his concentration, but failed. At last, Lord Brahma was pleased and gave him the ultimate Mantra of Gayatri and this way the mantra is now known to all of us. However, there are only 24 sages since antiquity who has truly and deeply understood the meaning of this Gayatri Mantra.
We have got his Gayatri Mantra as a result of severe penance and prayers of Vishvamitra. He has showered his education on the mankind by telling who is Devi Gayatri, how to worship her and how to please her in order to receive her blessings.
The Gayatri Mantra is a very powerful Mantra and has been found in the Rig, Yajur and Sama Veda. If chanted properly, the Gayatri Mantra can relieve one of all the sufferings and brings one on the right path. It showers righteous attitude, wisdom, immense knowledge, contentment and happiness.
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल